Andros - The Story of a multifaceted islandΤhe name of the island most probably originates from General Andros from Crete, legendary colonizer of the Minoan times. Archeological excavations prove the existence of developed settlements, dating back to Mycenaean times or even earlier. The island becomes historically known during the Geometric period (9th-7th century B.C.), as it is proved by traces of a settlement found in Zagora, at the south-western part of the island, close to Zaganiari. The capital of Andros island, during the classical times, was Paleopoli. The prosperity during that period is shown by the big production of coins. Relevant findings together with Hermes of Andros statue are exhibited in the Archeological Museum in Hora. In 7th century B.C. Andros island participated with Chalkideans to the colonization of Chalkidiki and coastal areas of Thrace in northern Greece.
Andros, following with the rest Aegean islands the fate of continental Greece, consecutively fell under Roman, Frank and Ottoman occupation. Dating back to 11th century, Byzantine style churches are found around the island, like Taxiarchis in Ipsilou, Melida and Messaria and Kimisi Theotokou (Assumption) in Mesathouri. In the 14th century, the "Agias Monastery" (Zoodochos Pigi) was built near Batsi, while Agios Nikolaos monastery was founded in 1560 and rebuilt in 18th century. Panachrantou monastery was founded in mid-17th century. At Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) in Korthi, a school has been established in 1813, before the Greek War of Independence against the Ottomans. It was founded by Samuel Plasimis and it incorporates a separate building, serving as the teachers house and library. On May 10th, 1821, Theofilos Kairis declared the War of Independence, thus marking the starting point of the islands recent history, during which Andros reached the peak of its economic prosperity, thanks to its ships. It is worth noting that Andriot Dimitris Moraitis initiated Greece-North America line in the beginning of the 20th century, while Andros was in 1939 second to Piraeus regarding ship registration.